Sunday, April 10, 2011

the object of your affection

It’s not power.
One might believe
Your words of love, praises of beauty and awe of my intellect
Might instill within me a certain
Power over you,
But it’s not power.
Rather your flattery instigates a search within me to
Disprove your words
Because I mistakenly think that your
Admiration implies that
I am perfect.

And I know I’m not perfect.
But I’m selfish, self-conscious, and blinded enough to think that you might believe I am
So for a moment
I think I have power,
Because you are here telling me that you love me.
I don’t think I feel the same and that scares me so
It’s not power
Because you have the ability to make me think twice;
To make me nervous and apprehensive about our interactions,
To make me question my motives,
And make me wonder if I am always using you
Which I might be. 
But it’s not power I have
Instead our relationship
Reveals my insecurities and weaknesses.

If I were honest with you and with myself
I would stop telling you how evil I am
(Thinking I’m doing you a favor by warning you)
I would stop pushing you away and then pulling you back,
I would just leave.

But I can’t, because it’s not power.

No comments:

Post a Comment